Looking for an unusual grilled cheese recipe or trying to use up a bumper crop of apples (lucky you, if so!). Try this simple grilled cheese with apples.
Call it a gourmet grilled cheese with apples or a simple apple and cheddar panini (technically, it's a panino, not a panini!), this sandwich is just plain tasty. It's a simple recipe with just apples, cheese, and honey mustard, but I think you'll find that both kids and adults love this gourmet grilled cheese panini.
With less than 300 calories, this sandwich also just barely qualifies as a low-calorie lunch idea, but be sure to watch the amount of cheese you use to keep it low-cal and low-fat. And, as long as you use whole grain bread, this is also a high-protein sandwich, with 18 grams of protein. Perfect for vegetarians (and vegetarian kids!).
Vegetarian apple cheddar panini recipe courtesy US Apple Association
See also: More fantastic vegetarian sandwich ideas
- 8 slices whole grain bread
- 1/2 cup low-fat honey mustard
- 2 apples, sliced thin
- 8 oz. low-fat Cheddar cheese, sliced thin
- Preheat panini press on medium heat. If you don't have a panini press, you can use a non-stick skillet or a George Foreman grill.
- Lightly spread honey mustard evenly over each slice of bread. Layer apple slices and cheese over 4 slices of bread, using about 1/2 apple and 2 ounces of cheese for each sandwich. Top each with remaining bread slices.
- Lightly coat panini press with cooking spray. Grill each sandwich for 3 to 5 minutes or until cheese has melted and bread has toasted.
- Remove from pan and allow to cool slightly before serving.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Total fat: 6g
Saturated fat: 2.5g
Calories from fat: 190
Dietary Fiber: 12g