Add some healthy whole grain barley to your regular vegetarian baked beans for extra texture, flavor, and a healthy fiber boost. These easy vegetarian baked beans are made with canned pinto beans, tomatoes a bit of molasses, and some ketchup and mustard, baked in the oven.
This is a healthy and low-calorie and nearly fat-free side dish. These homemade barley baked beans are both vegetarian and vegan.
This vegetarian baked beans with barley recipe is courtesy the National Barley Foods Council.
- 3/4 cup pearl barley
- 2 and 1/4 cups water
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 3/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 teaspoon salt (I recommend sea salt or kosher salt)
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- In a small saucepan with cover, bring water to a boil.
- Add barley; return to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and cook 45 minutes or until barley is tender and liquid is absorbed.
- Pour cooked barley into a large bowl and combine with remaining ingredients.
- Pour into 2-quart baking dish.
- Bake in preheated 325 F oven for 2 and 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||16 g|