|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: about 6 to 8 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 1g||3%|
|Total Carbohydrate 41g||15%|
|Dietary Fiber 9g||33%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This vegetarian and vegan recipe for a hearty homemade barley and vegetable soup is both healthy and filling. A meal in itself, you can add just about any veggies you want. If you're used to a more traditional beef and barley soup, go ahead and try this lower-fat and cholesterol-free version of a vegetarian bean and barley soup - you definitely won't be disappointed at all!
This simple and healthy soup recipe makes a more than a generous amount, so plan on having some leftovers!
If you like cooking with healthy whole grain barley, particularly in soups, you may also want to try this basic vegetable barley soup recipe.
- 1/2 large onion (diced)
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tbsp. of oil (or vegan margarine)
- 2 ribs celery (diced)
- 2 medium-sized carrots (diced)
- Optional: any other vegetables desired (about 1/2 cup each)
- 8 cups water (or vegetable broth; you can also use half and half, or water with a vegetarian bouillon cube)
- 1 cup pearled barley (uncooked)
- 1 cup pinto beans (or white beans, cooked or canned)
- 1/3 cup tomato paste (or crushed tomatoes)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1/4 tsp. celery salt (optional but adds a nice flavor)
- 1/2 tsp. basil
- 1/2 tsp. oregano (or Italian spice mix)
- 1/2 tsp. thyme
- Optional: 1 tsp. onion powder
- 2 large bay leaves
- Optional: salt and pepper to taste
Gather the ingredients.
In a large soup or stock pot, sauté the onions and garlic in the oil or vegan margarine for a minute or two.
Then add the celery, carrots and any other vegetables you are using for about 3 to 5 minutes.
Next, add in the vegetable broth or water and all the other remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a simmer. Once your soup is simmering, reduce the heat to medium-low and cover your pot.
Allow your soup to simmer on the stove for at least thirty minutes and up to one hour, stirring occasionally, until the barley is soft and somewhat fluffy.
Be sure to remove both of the bay leaves before serving your soup.
Taste, and then add in more spices or a bit of optional salt and pepper to taste.
Serve and enjoy!
- Feel free to add any type of vegetables you favor to this barley and vegetable soup. We think that green beans, peas, and corn are some great additions.