If you like vegetarian burritos and vegan bean burritos (and who doesn't?), try making this easy vegan bean and rice burrito using leftover rice and plenty of Mexican spices. This is a quick and easy basic recipe for a vegetarian and vegan bean burrito. A simple vegetarian burrito is a perfect vegetarian dinner idea.
Toss in some extra toppings such as non-dairy sour cream, homemade guacamole, salsa, black olives, or whatever you have on hand. I'm personally not a purist when it comes to burritos: I always like mine with a bit of lettuce (preferably shredded to give it a bit of extra crunch), which some people think is heresy for a burrito, and I really think all vegetarian burritos need a little salsa, hot sauce or pico de gallo to tie it all together (this recipe recommends hot sauce, but if I had an open jar of salsa or green chiles, you can bet at least a spoonful would find it's way inside). For a little extra protein, you could always add a scrambled egg to the mix, or some leftover tofu scramble.
- 2 cups cooked rice (pre-cooked or leftover)
- 2 limes (juiced)
- 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil (or olive oil)
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans (or pinto beans, drained)
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon hot sauce (or to taste)
- Optional: salt to taste
- In a large bowl, toss together the fresh chopped cilantro with the leftover cooked rice and drizzle with a bit of fresh lime juice. Heat in the microwave or on the stove just until hot, and give it a quick stir.
- In a separate large skillet, saute the onion and garlic in vegetable oil or olive oil for 2 to 3 minutes, or until the onion is soft.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and add the black beans or pinto beans and season with the chili powder, cumin, and hot sauce, stirring to combine. You can add a bit of salt if you'd like, but you shouldn't need too much with all the other seasonings. Allow the beans to cook until heated through, about 5 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||6 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||4 g|
|Dietary Fiber||17 g|