Vegetarian "beef" and broccoli with chow mein noodles. This is a vegetarian and vegan Chinese stir-fry recipe with Chinese black bean sauce and plenty of Asian stir-fry vegetables, including shiitake mushrooms, red bell peppers, and green onions. As with most vegetable stir-fry recipes, you can vary the vegetables and the amounts without too much trouble, so feel free to experiment with whatever you like or have on hand.
The recipe calls for black bean sauce, which, like hoisin sauce, tends to be one of those "love it or hate it" flavors, particularly for us Westerners who aren't accustomed to authentic Chinese flavors. If you're unsure, use a little less than the recipe calls for, or thin it out with a bit of water to dilute the flavor.
Recipe and photo courtesy of gardein.
See also: More vegetarian stir-fry recipes
- 1 package store-bought beef substitute (try gardein brand "beefless tips")
- 1/2 medium red onion, sliced thin
- 10 shiitake mushrooms, chopped
- 1/2 medium head broccoli, chopped into bite-sized florets
- 1 red bell pepper, diced (seeds removed)
- 1/2 cup black bean garlic sauce
- 1 bag (300g) chow mein noodles
- 3 tbsp canola oil (or other neutral oil)
- 1 green onion (scallions), chopped small
- salt and pepper, to taste
- First, prepare the chow mein noodles. Bring about 4 cups of salted water to a boil and cook the noodles until tender, following the cooking instructions on the bag.
- In a medium sautee pan, heat a bit of canola oil, and brown the beef substitute on all sides until browned and crisped. Add the onions and mushrooms, and heat for another 3-5 minutes.
- Next, add the black bean sauce, 1/2 cup water, and the broccoli and red bell pepper. Cover the pan, and allow to heat for just a minute. Uncover, and bring to a simmer. Allow to heat, stirring frequently, until the sauce has reduced by about half.
- To serve, top prepared chow mein noodles with the vegetarian "beef" and broccoli mixture, and garnish with chopped green onions.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||26 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||15 g|
|Dietary Fiber||19 g|