- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 32-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 15-ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon cold water
- 8 corn tortillas cut in half then into 1/4-inch wide strips
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack or Mexican blend cheese (optional)
- 1 avocado, diced (optional)
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)
- 1/3 cup sour cream (optional)
- In a large soup or stock pan, heat 1 tablespoon of oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, frequently stirring, until soft, about 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cumin and cook for another minute.
- Add the vegetable broth, tomato sauce, beans, corn, stirring to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- To thicken your black bean soup, whisk together the cornstarch and water in a small bowl. Bring the soup back up to a boil, stir in the cornstarch and water mixture, then heat, frequently stirring, until soup thickens, about two minutes.
- While your black bean soup is cooking on the stove, prepare the corn chips. Pre-heat the oven to 400 F.
- Place the corn tortilla strips in a large bowl and toss with the remaining 1 tablespoon oil until well coated.
- Place the tortilla strips on a baking sheet and cook until golden and crispy, about 10 minutes, stirring halfway through to ensure even cooking.
- Serve your vegetarian tortilla soup in individual bowls topped with baked tortilla chips and optional cheese, sour cream, cilantro, and avocado.
- Top it off with cheese and sour cream, or omit the two to make it dairy-free, lower in fat, and vegan. Or, use a low-fat cheese and a reduced-fat sour cream.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||20 g|
|Saturated Fat||7 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||21 g|
(The nutrition information on our recipes is calculated using an ingredient database and should be considered an estimate. Individual results may vary.)