Vegetarian black-eyed pea soup recipe using black-eyed peas (or crowder peas), celery, carrots, macaroni noodles, and spiced with basil and thyme, as well as the usual soup ingredients, such as vegetable broth, garlic and onions.
I think legumes such as peas get overlooked in the world of the home chef and particularly amongst vegetarians and vegans. We often make bean soups or Indian chana masala with chickpeas, but how often do you incorporate green split peas, yellow peas or, in this case, black-eyed peas, in your cooking repertoire? After all, they are somewhat interchangeable. But I digress. Here's one classic way to use black eyed peas to make a simple vegetarian vegetable soup.
This is a vegetarian recipe, with plenty of flavor without the usual ham. Leave out the optional Parmesan cheese to keep it vegan and dairy-free. Need this black-eyed pea soup recipe to be gluten-free as well? Omit the macaroni and just be sure to use a gluten-free vegetable broth; easy enough to do if you make your own homemade vegetable broth, or, if you're using store-bought, just check the ingredients list or the label as some will be gluten-free, but as a general rule, most will not be.
Recipe by Bush's Beans.
Not sure about the cheese? Read this: Is cheese vegetarian?
- 1 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 clove garlic (minced)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 2 cups vegetable juice
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 16 ounces tomatoes (1 can with juice)
- 1/4 tsp. basil
- 1/4 tsp. thyme (or oregano)
- Salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 15.8-ounce can black-eyed peas (or crowder peas)
- 1/2 cup macaroni
- Optional: parmesan cheese
- Heat the vegetable oil in a Dutch oven or heavy saucepan.
- Add garlic, carrot, celery and onion and saute for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and add the vegetable juice, vegetable broth, tomatoes, basil, thyme, salt, pepper, and crowder peas (black-eyed peas).
- Bring to boil then reduce to a simmer, and heat for ten minutes.
- Add macaroni and heat for an additional 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally until macaroni is cooked.
Serve in soup bowls topped with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese, if desired.
Like making homemade soups? Here's more vegetarian and vegan soup ideas to try:
- 10 ways to make vegetable soup
- Most popular reader-approved vegetarian soups
- 7 ways to make tomato soup
- Curried Split Pea Soup
- Vegetarian Bean and Barley Soup
- Spinach and Mascarpone Soup
- Pumpkin and Coconut Soup
- Vegetarian Lentil Soup
- Cheesey Vegetarian Potato Soup
- Cold vegetarian soups
- Gingered Carrot Soup
- 10 vegetarian bean soups
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|