This easy vegetarian butternut squash casserole with apples would make an excellent vegetarian Thanksgiving side dish.
Peeling and seeding butternut squash does take a bit of effort, but you'll want to use fresh rather than frozen butternut squash in this recipe. For a vegan butternut squash casserole, you could use a dairy-free margarine instead of butter.
- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled and deseeded
- 2 apples
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp vegan margarine or butter
- 1 tbsp flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and lightly grease a square baking pan or casserole dish, about 8x8 inches.
- Using a food processor, slice the butternut squash and apples into thin pieces. Or, if you don't have a food processor, you can chop into small dices. Place the squash and apples into your prepared baking dish or casserole dish.
- Mash together the remaining ingredients with a fork until crumbly, and sprinkle over the apples and squash.
- Bake your butternut squash casserole in the oven for 45 to 55 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||7 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|