Vegan cauliflower and potato curry with tomatoes, also called Indian aloo gobi, is a popular vegetarian Indian curry dish with as many variations as you can imagine. In other words, there's no right or wrong way to make a vegetarian aloo gobi, and this is just one way out of many possibilities. Some versions use green peas, many variations omit the tomatoes, but aloo gobi is always based on potatoes and cauliflower - without potatoes and cauliflower, it's something else, and not aloo gobi!
This vegan cauliflower and potato aloo gobi is indeed an easy version of this traditional Indian dish, but do make sure you have all the Indian spices on hand - including garam masala, chili powder, turmeric, and cumin - before you try this cauliflower curry recipe. You can omit the lemon juice and the fresh cilantro if you need to, but the Indian spice blend is essential to the flavor.
This easy Indian aloo gobi recipe with tomatoes would pair well with a vegan rice biryani dish to make it a full meal.
Vegetarian, vegan and gluten-free.
- 1 tomato (diced)
- 1/2 tsp. garam masala
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/4 tsp. turmeric
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 onion (diced)
- 2 potatoes (chopped small)
- 1 cauliflower (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Puree or mash together the tomato with the garam masala, chili powder, turmeric, cumin, and salt.
- In a large skillet, saute the onions and potatoes in olive oil for about three minutes, then add the cauliflower and reduce the heat to medium, adding more oil or a bit of water if needed.
- Add the tomato and spice mixture and allow to cook, stirring frequently for another 5 -6 minutes.
- Reduce the heat to low, and stir in the lemon juice and fresh chopped cilantro.
Serve your vegetarian and vegan cauliflower curry with steamed rice or Indian chapati bread. Want to round it out to make it a complete meal? Stick these easy vegetarian fresh mint samosas in the oven, or, instead of steamed white rice, serve your aloo gobi alongside Indian basmati rice, this Indian lemon rice, or even a full vegetable rice biryani.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||4 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|