|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 3 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 25g||33%|
|Saturated Fat 4g||18%|
|Total Carbohydrate 77g||28%|
|Dietary Fiber 16g||57%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Mashed chickpea salad sandwich is a healthy vegetarian sandwich that is a little similar to a tuna sandwich and has lots of protein from the chickpeas (garbanzo beans), making it a perfect lunchtime option for vegetarians and vegans, or anyone who likes tuna salad, chicken salad or egg salad sandwiches and looking for an alternative. If you need a vegetarian mock-tuna salad recipe, this is the recipe to try. See also: High-protein salads and sandwiches for vegetarians and vegans
Made with flavors and ingredients similar to a chicken salad or a tuna salad, this chickpea salad is made with chickpeas, mayonnaise, mustard, celery and sweet pickle relish. You could add in a little fresh dill if you happen to have some on hand as well, and, depending on personal preference, you might want to add in some diced onion or even some chopped green onion. Chickpeas make a great meat substitute in this sandwhich!
If you just make chickpea salad (and not sandwiches with bread), all the ingredients are gluten-free, though you might want to check the mayonnaise, mustard and relish of any additives.
See also: More vegetarian and vegan sandwich ideas
- 1 16 ounce can chickpeas (drained and rinsed well)
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise (use vegan mayonnaise for a vegan version)
- 2 tsp mustard
- 1/2 tsp lemon juice
- 2 tbsp sweet pickle relish
- 1 rib celery (minced)
- dash salt (to taste)
- dash pepper (to taste)
- 6 lettuce leaves
- 1 sliced tomato
- 6 slices sandwich bread (lightly toasted is best)
- Gather the ingredients.
- First, if you're using fresh cooked chickpeas, plan on about 1 2/3 cup, cooked, and, I recommend cooking them a little extra longer than usual so that they are extra soft and easy to mash.
- Mash together the prepared chickpeas with the mayonnaise, mustard and the lemon juice until the chickpeas are mostly smooth but still slightly chunky for a nice texture. Add the sweet pickle relish, minced celery, and a bit of salt and pepper.
- You can stop here, and plate your chickpea salad on lettuce and serve just like that, or, you can make sandwiches. To make sandwiches, first, lightly toast slices of bread and place a thin layer of lettuce on the bread, then top with tomato slices and a scoop of the prepared chickpea salad mixture.
If you like making meatless sandwiches, here's a few more vegetarian and vegan sandwich recipes you might want to try: