|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: about 6 servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 1g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 37g||14%|
|Dietary Fiber 3g||10%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
If you like Spanish rice, try this simple vegetarian and vegan Spanish rice recipe that you can make right in your crockpot or slow cooker. Using vegetable broth or water instead of a meat-based stock makes this crock pot Spanish rice recipe both vegetarian and vegan, and using a combination of both fresh and canned ingredients makes it a snap to prepare.
In this recipe, you've got canned diced tomatoes (though you could certainly substitute for fresh if you prefer) but fresh onion and green bell peppers, and, using salsa adds a bunch of flavor quickly, so that you can have this recipe into the crockpot in just as much time as it takes to open a can and chop one onion and a bell pepper.
What to do with your Spanish rice? Serve it as a side dish along with any Mexican-inspired vegetarian entree, or, use it to stuff vegetarian burritos. Got leftovers? Here's a few ideas for how to use up leftover rice.
- 2 cups rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 3/4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup salsa
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place the rice, diced onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes (including the liquid), and the water or vegetable broth in your crock pot or slow cooker and give it all a quick stir to combine the ingredients together.
- Next, add the garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and salsa, and give it another quick stir just to combine.
- Cover the crockpot and cook on your crock pot's low setting for 6 to 8 hours. Stir again before serving.
Like making fast and easy homemade vegetarian meals in your crock pot or slow cooker? Here's more fast and easy vegetarian (and vegan!) crockpot recipes you may want to try: