If you like Spanish rice, try this simple vegetarian and vegan Spanish rice recipe that you can make right in your crockpot or slow cooker. Using vegetable broth or water instead of a meat-based stock makes this crock pot Spanish rice recipe both vegetarian and vegan, and using a combination of both fresh and canned ingredients makes it a snap to prepare.
In this recipe, you've got canned diced tomatoes (though you could certainly substitute for fresh if you prefer) but fresh onion and green bell peppers, and, using salsa adds a bunch of flavor quickly, so that you can have this recipe into the crockpot in just as much time as it takes to open a can and chop one onion and a bell pepper.
What to do with your Spanish rice? Serve it as a side dish along with any Mexican-inspired vegetarian entree, or, use it to stuff vegetarian burritos. Got leftovers? Here's a few ideas for how to use up leftover rice.
- 2 cups rice
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 15 ounce can diced tomatoes, including liquid
- 1 3/4 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 cup salsa
Place the rice, diced onion, bell pepper, diced tomatoes (including the liquid), and the water or vegetable broth in your crock pot or slow cooker and give it all a quick stir to combine the ingredients together.
Next, add the garlic powder, chili powder, onion powder and salsa, and give it another quick stir just to combine.
Cover the crock pot and cook on your crock pot's low setting for 6 to 8 hours.
Stir again before serving.
Like making fast and easy homemade vegetarian meals in your crock pot or slow cooker? Here's more fast and easy vegetarian (and vegan!) crock pot recipes you may want to try:
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Vegetable Chili Recipe
- Easy Mexican Refried Beans
- Vegetarian Homemade Baked Beans
- Vegetarian and Vegan Split Pea Soup Recipe
- Sweet Pineapple Baked Beans
- Easy Crock Pot Green Bean Casserole Recipe
- Vegetable Minestrone Soup
- Tofu and Spinach Vegan Lasagna
- Very Veggie Crock Pot Chili
- Vegetarian Barley Chili
- Quick Curried Crock Pot Rice and Lentils
- Vegetarian Crock Pot Lentil Soup
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||1 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|