This is a basic meatless chili recipe for your crockpot or slow cooker made from black beans and kidney beans (or use any kind of red beans you'd like), canned tomatoes and tomato paste, and plenty of seasonings, including cumin, oregano, chile power and red pepper flakes. Making vegetarian chili in the crockpot is very similar to cooking up a batch stovetop, though you do need to add a bit more liquid. Adjust the seasonings to taste, of course, and add extra veggies if you prefer.Or, make it higher in protein by adding in some chopped tofu or TVP.
This recipe is both vegetarian and vegan, and it's cholesterol-free, low-fat and high in fiber and protein, making it perfect for vegetarians and vegans. If you need this recipe to be gluten-free as well, simply omit the soy sauce, and add either a tablespoon of water or extra vegetable broth instead, or, sub in a gluten-free substitute such as tamari or Nama shoyu. You'll also need to make sure your vegetable broth is gluten-free as well, since some store-bought brands are and some aren't.
This slow cooker chili recipe makes a huge batch, so be prepared to have some leftover chili, or, if you have a smaller slow cooker, consider cutting the recipe in half.
See also: More homemade vegetarian chili recipes
- 2 tbsp. oil
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/3 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 1/3 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 28-oz. can tomatoes
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 6-oz. can tomato paste
- 2 14-oz. cans black beans, drained
- 2 14-oz. cans red kidney beans, drained
- Sautee the onion, garlic and red pepper flakes in oil until the onion is soft, about 3 to 5 minutes. Next, add the chili powder and cumin and cook for two more minutes., stirring to make sure the spices don't burn and scald the pan.
- Place the onions and garlic mixture in the crock pot, then add in the oregano, tomatoes, soy sauce, vegetable broth, tomatoes and drained black beans and drained kidney beans.
- Stir all the ingredients a few times, to make sure everything is well combined, then cover or place the lid on the crockpot or slow cooker.
- Set the crockpot or slow cooer to "low" and allow to cook for 6 to 8 hours.
Got leftovers? Vegetarian chili keeps well in the freezer, or, you can also check out this guide to completely repurposing and transforming your leftover chili, including ideas for leftover chili stuffed peppers, casseroles, taco salad, chili cheese biscuits, leftover chili Mexican pizza and even more ideas.
More Vegetarian and Vegan Chili Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||41 g|