A Mexican casserole sometimes called a tortilla pie, or a tortilla casserole is simply a few Mexican ingredients layered in between tortillas (similar to the way a lasagna is layered) then baked in the oven. Sound good? Read on!
This vegetarian Mexican casserole recipe is a one dish vegetarian casserole perfect for those busy nights. You can get this meatless vegetarian enchilada baked Mexican casserole in the oven in just a few minutes. Don't be fooled by the somewhat long ingredients list. All you need to do is lay a few corn tortillas in a casserole or baking dish, cover it with beans (and some sauteed veggies) and cheese, and repeat, just like making a lasagna. The garnishes are all optional.
A simple Mexican-inspired meal the whole family will enjoy, and, because this recipe makes quite a bit, you can plan on having leftovers.
The recipe is courtesy of Bush's® Beans.
- 2 cups chopped onion, fresh or frozen
- 1 1/2 cups chopped red pepper, fresh or frozen
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 3/4 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 15.8 ounce cans black beans, drained
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 cups Monterey Jack and Cheddar blend cheese shredded
- 3 tomatoes chopped (optional)
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 F.
- Combine onion pepper, garlic, salsa, cumin and black beans in large skillet and bring to simmer over medium heat. Cook, frequently stirring for 3 minutes.
- Arrange 6 tortillas in bottom of 9" x 13" baking dish overlapping them as necessary. Spread half of bean mixture over tortillas and sprinkle with half of cheese. Repeat layering process with remaining tortillas, bean mixture, and cheese.
- Cover dish with foil and bake 15 minutes. Carefully remove foil and serve warm.
- Garnish with tomatoes, sour cream, and olives.
Nutritional Information per Serving: (excluding optional ingredients)
Fat: 11.5 grams
Fiber: 21.4 grams
Cholesterol: 25 mg
Protein: 34.9 grams
Vitamin A: 24%
Vitamin C: 51%
If you like this easy Mexican casserole recipe, scroll down for more meatless vegetarian casserole recipes to try.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||21 g|
|Saturated Fat||11 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||20 g|