This simple and delicious hummus and pickled vegetable sandwich is anything but boring!
Say goodbye to lifeless limp vegetables and start piling on loads of these tangy pickled veggies, some savory protein-packed hummus, and crisp, fresh produce. These veggies are just my recommendation and personal preference but feel free to try switching up the veggies to create create a sandwich that's full of flavor and chocked full of vitamins and nutrients.
A word to the wise though - the combination of the pickled beets and the hummus look awesome together - almost like art- but they also make this sandwich super messy so be sure to use the paper-folding technique to keep the sandwich together.
And yeah, as you could imagine from the excess pickle juice and the hummus, you probably don't want this sandwich sitting in a fridge all day, either.
- 2 slices of bread (rye)
- 3 tbsp hummus (whatever kind you dig!)
- 3 thick slices of tomato
- 2 large leaves of lettuce (preferably butter lettuce)
- 2 baby carrots (chopped)
- 1 tbsp onion (quick-pickled red onion)
- 4 slices of beets (pickled)
- 4 slices of kimchi pickles
- Toast 2 slices of bread and place them on a sheet of butcher paper.
- Equally smother each side with hummus. On one slice, pile on the kimchi pickles, the pickled beets, and the pickled red onion on top. Top with the sliced carrot.
- On the other piece of bread, add the tomato and the lettuce.
- Very carefully fold the two pieces together and wrap tightly in wax paper or butcher paper. Cut in half very quickly by pressing down on the sandwich and drawing a serrated knife across the sandwich in one swift movement. Serve immediately as this sandwich tends to get soggy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||44 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||30 g|
|Dietary Fiber||15 g|