This meat-free "meat" loaf is made with store-bought vegetarian ground beef substitute. GimmeLean works best. You'll find it in the refrigerated produce section in most large supermarkets.
Recipe and photo courtesy of Lightlife.com
Like cooking with meat substitutes? Here's a few more meat-free meat substitutes for vegetarians.
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 14 oz "Gimme Lean" ground beef substitute (Lightlife brand is in the produce section at most supermarkets)
- 1/2 c Italian flat leaf parsley (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 medium onion (chopped)
- 1 medium carrot (chopped)
- 1 egg (or vegan egg replacer, Ener-G or other)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- dash salt (or to taste)
- dash pepper (or to taste)
- 1 cup smooth marinara sauce
Place the bread in a bowl. Cover with hot tap water. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then gently squeeze out as much water as possible, then crumble into a dry bowl.
Add the vegetarian beef susbtitute, parsley, garlic, onion, carrot, egg, and oil. Season generously with salt and pepper, then mix together.
It'll be easiest to use your hands for this.
When the ingredients are well mixed, place in to the greased loaf pan. Smooth the top of the loaf then spread the marinara sauce over the top of the loaf. Lightly spray a sheet of foil, then cover the pan, sprayed side down.
Bake in the pre-heated oven for about 35 minutes, then remove the foil and bake for another 30 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||18 g|
|Saturated Fat||6 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||8 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|