This recipe for vegetarian and vegan minestrone soup is filled with healthy and low-fat vegetables, including tomato, carrots, celery, green beans and zucchini. It's basically your entire garden in a soup! Everything is slowly simmered for maximum flavor along with some fresh basil and garlic.
Vegetarian minestrone soup makes for a light and healthy lunch or dinner soup, just add a side salad and maybe a slice of garlic bread and you've got yourself a full meal. Because it contains no oil, this vegetarian minestrone soup recipe is very low in fat. You can leave out the macaroni (and use a gluten-free vegetable broth) in order to make it gluten-free, but then you're really just making a vegetable soup, instead of a minestrone. Nothing wrong with that, though of course! See also: More vegetable soup recipes to try, from simple to gourmet
With less than 100 calories per serving and just over 1 gram of naturally occurring fat, this vegetarian (and vegan!) minestrone is a great low-calorie and nearly fat-free soup. You may also want to try this crockpot vegetarian vegetable minestrone soup recipe.
If you like low-calorie and low-fat cooking, you might also want to check out these nine fat-free vegan soups to try.
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 cups tomatoes (diced)
- 1 tbsp. fresh basil (chopped)
- 1/2 tsp. oregano
- 2 carrots (chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (chopped)
- 1/2 onion (chopped)
- 3 zucchini (chopped)
- Optional: 1 cup green beans (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 bay leaf
- Salt (to taste)
- Pepper (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups macaroni pasta (or use another small pasta shape such as small shells)
- First, place the vegetable broth in a large pot, then add in the diced tomatoes, basil, oregano, carrots, celery, onion, zucchini, green beans, garlic and the bay leaf.
- Slowly bring the soup to a low simmer and allow to cook over very low heat for at least 45 minutes and up to one hour, or until vegetables are tender, stirring occasionally.
- Add the salt and pepper and the macaroni pasta and bring the heat up a bit to a medium low. Allow to simmer for another 10 to 20 minutes, or until the pasta is done cooking.
- Remove the bay leaf before serving.
Enjoy your easy homemade vegetable minestrone soup!
Looking for more vegetarian and vegan soup recipes? You may want to browse some of crowd-pleasing Creative Vegetable Soups, or, if you want something a little healthier, try one of these nine fat-free vegan soups. Want something a bit unusual? How about a Vegan Cream of Asparagus Soup or a fun Vegetarian Peanut Soup. Enjoy!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||9 g|