|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
Savory and aromatic, this vegetarian and vegan pumpkin and sage pasta sauce recipe is naturally lower in fat than other pumpkin pasta sauce recipes, and is perfect for an unusual main dish for autumn or anytime.
If you're bored of the usual spaghetti and marinara, try this pumpkin pasta recipe for something different.
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 onion (diced)
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 3/4 cup soy milk (or any vegan milk substitute you prefer)
- 3/4 cups pumpkin puree (canned or pre-cooked)
- 1 1/4 tsp. sage (or 6 to 8 leaves fresh sage)
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- Black pepper to taste (fresh ground)
- Optional: 1/3 cup finely chopped walnuts (or pine nuts)
- Optional: Panko breadcrumbs (or vegan Parmesan cheese, for topping)
If using fresh pumpkin, rather than canned, puree in a blender first until smooth.
In a medium-sized pot or large frying pan, sautee garlic and onion in olive oil 3-5 minutes. Add the sage and heat for another minute. Reduce heat to low, and add the soy milk, pumpkin and sage. Stir gently to combine ingredients.
Allow to simmer until flavors are well combined, about 8-10 minutes. Add salt, pepper and walnuts or pine nuts, stirring to combine, then remove from heat.
Sprinkle with some breadcrumbs or a vegan Parmesan cheese substitute if you'd like, for garnish.
Serve over cooked pasta and enjoy!
If you like cooking with pumpkin, check out this list of vegetarian and vegan pumpkin recipes.