Vegetarians and non-vegetarians alike will enjoy these hearty and healthy veggie burgers made with high-protein quinoa and seasoned black beans. Any cooked beans will work in this recipe, but black beans have a particular "meaty" flavor that works well here.
This is a great recipe for using up leftover cooked beans, but if you don't happen to have any on hand, you can use canned black beans instead.
- 1/3 cup raw quinoa
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked black beans (or 1 can of black beans (see below))
- Salt and pepper
- 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper (finely diced)
- 1/4 cup green onion (finely diced)
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (or regular paprika)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt (or to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper (or to taste)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Seasoning Canned Black Beans:
- 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika (optional)
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
Make the Veggie Burgers
- In a small saucepan, bring the quinoa and vegetable broth to a simmer.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 12 to 15 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and let quinoa sit, covered, for 5 minutes longer.
- Remove the cover and fluff the quinoa with a fork.
- Add the black beans to a large bowl. Sprinkle the beans with salt and pepper and mash the beans gently with a potato masher.
- Add the cooked quinoa, breadcrumbs, diced red pepper, green onions, egg, cumin and paprika to the bowl with the mashed beans.
- Stir everything together well with a fork. Add more breadcrumbs if the mixture is too wet to form into patties. Season the mixture with salt and pepper to taste.
- Shape the mixture into 4 or 5 patties, each about 1 inch thick. Heat the olive oil in a heavy skillet over medium heat.
- Cook the patties in the skillet until well-browned on one side, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Carefully flip the patties and cook on the other side until well-browned. Continue to turn and cook patties until they are cooked through and crispy on the outside, about 8 to 12 minutes total.
- Serve quinoa and black bean burgers in buns, with assorted condiments such as ketchup, mustard, pickles, salsa criolla or guacamole.
Season Canned Black Beans
- Place the olive oil in a skillet over medium-low heat.
- Add the onion, garlic, cumin, chili powder and smoked paprika, if desired.
- Cook, stirring often, until the onion is soft and fragrant.
- Add the canned beans to the skillet, including the liquid.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring often, until most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Taste and season with salt and pepper as needed.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||16 g|
|Saturated Fat||3 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||17 g|