This gluten-free and vegan quinoa tabbouleh salad (also spelled tabouleh or tabouli) salad is made with healthy, whole grain and high-protein quinoa instead of the bulgur wheat which is traditionally used in tabouli recipes. It's really a two-in-one: you get a quinoa salad as well as a traditional Middle Eastern tabbouleh, and all of the ingredients are vegetarian and vegan as well as gluten-free, so it's perfect just about any diet or food sensitivity. Quinoa salad of any kind is always a great option if you happen to have some plain leftover quinoa on hand as well.
If you like quinoa, you might want to branch out and try some other whole grains, too, such as kaniwa, millet, and teff. Whole grains such as these are versatile, and, if you buy them in bulk, they're a bargain.
- 1 cup quinoa
- 2 cups water or vegetable broth
- 1 large or two medium tomatoes, chopped small
- 1 cucumber, chopped (optional)
- 4 scallions (green onions), chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 to 3 tbsp chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lemon juice (fresh is best!)
- 1/2 tsp salt, or to taste (sea salt or kosher salt is best in this recipe)
- In a medium pot, cover the quinoa in water or vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a slow simmer, cover, and allow the quinoa to cook for about 15 minutes, or until the quinoa is cooked and most of the liquid has been absorbed. Fluff a few times with a fork to allow the last bits of steam to escape. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, while the quinoa is either cooking or cooling, in a large bowl, combine the chopped tomatoes, chopped cucumbers, scallions, garlic, fresh mint, and fresh parsley.
- Once the quinoa has mostly cooled (it can be warm still, but it shouldn't be hot) add the cooked quinoa, olive oil, lemon juice, and salt, tossing gently to combine well. Season with sea salt or kosher salt, to taste.
- Chill your quinoa tabbouleh salad for at least one hour before serving, preferably overnight, to allow the flavors to mingle and fully develop. Lightly toss it all together again just before serving.
- Give this quinoa salad recipe an extra squeeze of fresh lime and a dusting of sea salt again just before serving for an extra burst of flavor.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||10 g|
|Dietary Fiber||4 g|