This is one of those vegetarian recipes that came about just because of the ingredients that I had on hand at the moment, which happened to be lentils, carrots, potatoes and lots of Indian spices. Made with onions, garlic, scallions, curry powder, chili powder, carrots and potatoes, this vegetarian and vegan lentil dish is a full meal in itself.
Like cooking with lentils? Make some extra and turn the leftovers into a cold lentil salad.
See also: Vegan Curries from around the world
- 2 tbsp. canola or safflower oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 scallions, chopped
- 1 tbsp. curry powder
- 1/2 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper (optional)
- 3 medium carrots, sliced thin
- 1 large or 2 medium potatoes, chopped into 1-inch chunks
- 1 cup lentils
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- Heat the garlic, onions and scallions in safflower or canola oil for a few minutes, about 3-4, just until onions are soft.
- Add the curry powder and chili powder and heat for just one minute.
- Add the carrots and potatoes, stirring to coat well with spices. Heat for a minute or two, just to give the carrots and potatoes a head start.
- Add vegetable broth and lentils. Heat, stirring occasionally for 15 to 20 minutes until lentils, potatoes and carrots are cooked through.
Like this homemade lentil curry? Here are some more ways to cook lentils:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||10 g|