Vegetarian "sausage" tops off this meaty Mediterranean-inspired vegan pizza recipe with pesto, vegan mozzarella cheese and artichokes. Sure, you could make just a plain vegan pizza, but this pesto and sausage pizza recipe is a gourmet masterpiece!
Recipe and photo courtesy of Lightlife Foods.
- 12 oz vegetarian sausages (Try Italian-style Smart Sausages)
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 11-inch pizza crust (thin, pre-baked)
- 3/4 cup tomato sauce
- 1 14 oz can artichoke hearts (drained and chopped)
- 1 cup vegan mozzarella cheese substitute (grated)
- 1/4 cup vegan pesto (prepared )
Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees.
In a skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add vegetarian sausages; cook 6-8 minutes or until browned. Cut into 1/2-inch rounds.
Place pizza crust on baking sheet and spread with tomato sauce, leaving a 1-inch border. Scatter sausage and artichokes on top, then sprinkle with non-dairy cheese.
Bake pizza for 12-14 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden.
Remove from oven, dot with pesto; bake 2 minutes more.