Use tempeh instead of meat as a filler for vegetarian tacos, and top with your favorite vegetarian taco fillings, such as salsa, fresh lettuce, cheese or sour cream, or keep it vegan and add guacamole for extra flavor instead of cheese and sour cream. Vegetarian tempeh tacos are a quick and easy dinner idea (or BRINNER Idea!) that the whole family will eat up!
If you're not eating vegan, add in a bit of sour cream and maybe even topped off with some crumbly Mexican cotija or queso fresco cheese).
This recipe is vegetarian, vegan (if you omit the sour cream) and, if you need it to be gluten-free as well, you'll need to first make sure that you're using a gluten-free tempeh (most tempeh is gluten-free, but some have added grains which are not gluten-free, so read the label carefully if needed) and then also swap out the soy sauce for a gluten-free substitute (such as tamari or Bragg's Liquid Aminos).
See also: More vegetarian taco recipes
- 2 tbsp. olive oil (or other cooking oil)
- 1 onion (diced)
- 1 package tempeh (sliced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 cup cilantro (fresh chopped)
- Optional: lettuce, tomatoes, jalapeno slices or sour cream
- Sautee the onion in olive oil for 3 to 5 minutes, or until onion is soft.
- Add the sliced tempeh, the soy sauce and the cumin. Allow this mixture to cook over medium heat for about five more minutes, stirring frequently. If the pan gets too dry, you can add a bit more oil, or even just a splash of water to deglaze it.
- After about five minutes, the tempeh should be lightly browned and softened and done cooking. Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cilantro.
- Fill your taco shells or tortillas with the cooked tempeh mixture and top your tacos off with shredded lettuce, diced tomatoes, a bit of cheese, salsa, sliced avocados, sour cream, or any other kind of taco fixings you can imagine (my new favorite local taco shop adds pickled watermelon to their vegetarian tacos which sounds quite odd but is actually incredible, so don't be afraid to get a bit creative with your taco fillings!).
Enjoy your homemade vegetarian tempeh tacos!
Like vegetarian tacos? Here's a few more recipes to try:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||10 g|
|Saturated Fat||2 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||1 g|