This vegetarian (and vegan!) chili recipe packs twice the protein punch with both beans and tofu as well as plenty of flavor from chili powder, bell peppers, mushrooms and a touch of sugar to give it that little extra bit of something. I also like to add a touch of paprika into a vegetarian chili if I have some on hand, and I know a few vegetarians who swear by the flavor-enhancing properties of liquid smoke - add a dash or two right in there, if you'd like.
Vegetarian chili is always a great idea to bring to a potluck, since it's easy to whip up a large batch. Freeze up any leftovers you have in portioned-out containers, to take into the office for a leftover lunch or, check out these ideas for what to do with leftover chili, or scroll down for a few more ways to make a batch of vegetarian chili.
- 3 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 14 oz. package of firm or extra firm tofu, crumbled
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 3 tbsp. chili powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 14 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 28 oz. can whole or diced tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 28 oz. can kidney beans, drained
- 1 tbsp. sugar (optional but nice)
- In a large pot, sautee the tofu in the vegetable oil over medium high heat for about 3 minutes.
- Add in the onions, green pepper, garlic, mushrooms, chili powder, salt and pepper, cayenne and cumin. Cook until the veggies are just barely tender, about 5 minutes.
- Next, add in the tomato sauce, the whole or diced tomatoes, the kidney beans and sugar. Bring to a slow simmer. Cover and allow to cook for at least 45 minutes. Enjoy!
Makes 8 servings of homemade vegetarian and vegan tofu chili.
Got leftovers? Here's a few ideas for leftover chili.
Like this recipe?
Loving this vegetarian and vegan tofu recipe? Here are some more incredible things you can do with tofu:
- Vegetarian tofu stir-fries
- Recipes using silken tofu
- A complete list of tofu recipes
- What is the nutritional value of tofu?
Nutritional information, per serving:
% Daily Value:
Total Fat: 9.1g, 14% / Saturated Fat: 1.7g, 9%
Cholesterol: 0mg, 0%
Sodium: 313mg, 13%
Total Carbohydrates: 77.4g, 26%
Dietary Fiber: 19.1g, 76%
Vitamin A 47%, Vitamin C 72%, Calcium 21%, Iron 49%
More Vegetarian and Vegan Chili Recipes:
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||11 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||5 g|
|Dietary Fiber||24 g|