Venison sausage is baked with a mixture of potatoes, carrots, tomatoes, and onions. You can also use kielbasa in this recipe.
- 2 pounds fresh venison sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) stewed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- Preheat the oven to 350 F.
- Remove the sausage from the casings.
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Brown the sausage, stirring to break it up into smaller pieces. Remove sausage, and drain well, leaving drippings in skillet. Saute onion in drippings; drain well and pour off drippings.
- Combine onion, tomatoes, oregano, basil, garlic powder, and pepper in skillet. Simmer until thoroughly heated; remove from heat.
- Arrange potatoes in a lightly greased 9-by-13-by-2-inch baking pan. Top with carrots. Sprinkle sausage meat over carrots; spoon tomato mixture over sausage.
- Cover baking dish with foil. Bake for 45 minutes.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||23 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||11 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|