|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: Serves 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 51g||66%|
|Saturated Fat 14g||71%|
|Total Carbohydrate 2g||1%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Use a vertical roaster or a beer or soda can for this tasty roasted chicken. If you don't use a vertical roaster, balance the chicken carefully on the can so the two legs and the can act as a "tripod."
The beer, juice, or soda help keep the chicken juicy and flavorful.
Serve this tasty chicken with potatoes or rice and a vegetable side dish, along with salad or coleslaw.
- 1 chicken, about 4 to 5 pounds
- 1 cup beer, cola, or juice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Gather the ingredients.
- Place a vertical roaster with a container or an open beer or soda can on a foil-lined baking pan. Fill the can with the beer, cola, or juice.
- Wash chicken and pat dry. Fit the chicken down over the can or container; the drumsticks will be facing down. If balancing on a can without a stand to keep it from tipping, let the chicken rest on the ends of the legs and the can, forming a stable "tripod."
- Combine the remaining ingredients and pat all over the chicken.
- Roast for about 1 1/2 to 1 3/4 hours, or to at least 165 F on a meat thermometer or oven probe inserted into the thickest, meaty part of a thigh, not too close to the bone.
- Beer can chicken can also be cooked on the grill. See Terri's classic beer can chicken for a grilled version.