|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 3g||3%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||8%|
|Total Carbohydrate 14g||5%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 14g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The voodoo shot is definitely a drink that will not go unnoticed. It's an older recipe that was popular a few decades ago when layered shooters were all the rage, though it still has some appeal today. If you're looking for a very potent shot of rum that has a creamy twist and a hint of coffee, it's a good choice.
This is not a shooter to take lightly because it's very strong. It features Tia Maria, a Jamaican coffee liqueur. Along with the rum cream, it soften the far stronger high-proof rum to create a decent-tasting shot that's an experience.
Gather the ingredients,
Pour the Tia Maria into a shot glass.
Float the rum cream on top by pouring it slowly over the back of a bar spoon.
Float the overproof rum on top.
Serve and enjoy.
- There are a few options for rum cream (a rum and cream liqueur). Some of the brands include Sangster's Original Jamaica Rum Cream and El Dorado Rum Cream. Rumchata makes a fine substitute if you cannot find either of those.
- Kahlua and most other coffee liqueurs are good alternatives to Tia Maria.
- For the 151 rum, Cruzan, Don Q, and Goslings are good options and each should be relatively easy to find. Bacardi 151 Rum has been discontinued; don't fall for those insanely priced bottles ($100 or more) that are still being sold online. It's not worth the price when the other brands sell for around $20!
- As you switch brands of the liquors, you may notice that some do not layer as well as others. Though they're generally pretty equal, not every spirit in a category will have the same specific gravity that's required to float on top of the liquor beneath it.
- If you prefer, pour an 80-proof rum in this shot. It should float just as well on the cream layer, will make it taste considerably smoother, and will not be as potent (about 25 percent ABV or 50 proof).
- Don't feel like layering tonight? Toss the ingredients in a cocktail shaker with ice and shake it up. It will taste just as good (if not better).
How Strong Is a Voodoo Shot?
This shot is not mixed, so there's no ice dilution that will knock down the strength. Plus, while Tia Maria and rum cream are low-proof liqueurs, the 151-proof rum entirely offsets that to create a very strong shot. In general, you can expect this one to have an alcohol content around 38 percent ABV (76 proof), which is just a little weaker than a straight shot of 80-proof rum.