|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 6g||2%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 6g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This shooter packs a punch that will almost certainly bring you back from the dead. Patron Tequila's wake the dead recipe combines the tequila shot and the espresso shot into one tiny glass. It is actually quite good and the perfect drink for those times when you really don't want the party to end!
Patron XO Cafe is used here to bridge the gap between the two styles of shots. The tequila-based coffee liqueur offers a hint of sweetness that rounds the shot's taste off perfectly. And, you really don't have to shoot it! This drink makes a fantastic happy hour sipper, too.
1 ounce blanco tequila
1 ounce coffee liqueur
1/2 ounce espresso
Steps to Make It
Gather the ingredients.
Pour the ingredients into a cocktail shaker filled with ice.
Strain into two shot glasses.
- This recipe results in a 3-ounce drink, which is a very tall shot and too large for the average shot glass. That's why it's recommended as a two-shot drink to share. Alternatively, you can strain it into an old-fashioned glass and enjoy it yourself.
- Make sure the espresso is chilled before adding it to the shaker. Hot coffee will melt too much ice and result in an overly diluted drink.
- If you don't have an espresso machine, freshly brewed coffee will do in a pinch. Better yet, get an intense flavor of coffee that's already chilled by trying a cold brew coffee. It's incredibly easy, you just need to plan ahead because it takes about 12 hours to brew.
- Silver tequilas are preferred because the deep flavors of the coffee will mask any flavor nuance imparted by aging a reposado tequila. If you're going to use a tequila other than Patron, be sure it's the silver (blanco) style.
- This shot will taste good with any coffee liqueur (including Kahlua), though Patron XO Café is one of the better choices because of its tequila base.
- This is an excellent drink to serve on the rocks in an old-fashioned glass.
- It would be a lot of fun to serve this shot as a two-part drink similar to the pickleback with an espresso chaser! Simply shake the tequila and coffee liqueur and strain it into a shot glass. Have a second shot glass or demitasse cup (espresso cup) filled with either chilled or hot espresso. Drink the tequila shot, then chase it with espresso.
How Strong Is a Wake the Dead Shot?
Not only is this a high-octane shot, but it's also among the strongest shooters you can mix up. When made according to the recipe, it should have an alcohol content around 25 percent ABV (50 proof).
Do be cautious: As seen countless times with drinks like the vodka Red Bull, the effects of caffeine (or energy drink alternatives) can mask the effects of the alcohol. It is really easy to become drunker faster with drinks like this because you're so hyped up.