Nothing beats a steaming hot bowl of chili on a cold and wintery day! It's also good in the summer, slathered on a hotdog or some nachos. Anytime of year is a good time for chili!
This recipe is very simple and super easy to throw together. It can be served immediately after preparing, but it is best left to simmer on the stove for an hour or two. Chili also freezes really easily! Just place chilled chili in large plastic storage bags and flatten them. You can stack the bags in your freezer and pop them back in a pan for a quick and easy weeknight meal. It's also a great meal to bring to someone who just had a baby or is laid up at home!
It's really easy to alter the spiciness of this recipe. You can add more or less cayenne depending on the kind of kick you like!
I like my chili with no beans but you can easily add them in! Add a can of red kidney beans, chopped green peppers, or any other add-ins to this versatile dish! Vegetarian crumbles, ground turkey, or ground chicken can be substituted for the ground beef!
Top the chili with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream. Serve it over rice, noodles, or just with a side of corn bread. Tortilla chips are delicious dipped in the chili, too! It's perfect for tailgating, bringing to a party, or just serving up to hungry family members.
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves of garlic (chopped)
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs ground beef (ground turkey or chicken can also be used)
- 1 Tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 cup chili powder
- 2 Tablespoons paprika
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 16 oz can tomato sauce
- 16 oz of water (use tomato sauce can to measure)
- 1 Tablespoon masa corn flour
- 4 Tablespoons water
- Heat olive oil in a large dutch oven on medium high heat. Add chopped onion, salt and garlic and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often, until soft and fragrant.
- Add ground beef. Break up the beef so that it lays evenly in the pan. Cook until browned and completely cooked through.
- Drain the fat off of the beef, being careful not to drain off the onions. I just a spoon to remove the extra fat. Add the spices and stir to combine.
- Add the tomato sauce and water. Stir well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.
- Mix masa flour with water. Add to the chili. Stir and cook another ten minutes. Salt more to taste.
- Serve over anything!
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||15 g|
|Saturated Fat||5 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||7 g|
|Dietary Fiber||5 g|