|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
The Waterloo Sunset is a sweet Champagne cocktail that is made in layers. Perfect for spring and summer entertaining, the recipe from Beefeater Gin is a delightful twist on a couple of popular cocktails.
First, you have the interesting base of gin and elderflower liqueur in a sparkling wine drink that mimics an elderflower cocktail. Then, there is the "sunrise" element that is most commonly found in a tequila sunrise. In this case, however, the "rise" is attributed to raspberry liqueur instead of grenadine. It is a stunning cocktail for celebrating any occasion.
- 2 ounces gin (Beefeater 24)
- 1 ounce elderflower liqueur
- 1/4 ounce raspberry liqueur
- 2 ounces Champagne
Gather the ingredients.
Stir Beefeater 24 and elderflower liqueur with ice.
Fill the glass with Champagne.
Then slowly pour the raspberry liqueur over the back of a bar spoon.
Serve and enjoy!
- Beefeater 24 is a twist on the standard bottle of gin from the brand. The primary difference is that two types of green tea (Japanese Sencha and Chinese green tea) are added to the list of botanicals.
- For the elderflower liqueur, St. Germain is likely the easiest one to find. There are a few others on the market, including from brands like Bols, Fiorente, and Gifford.
- Chambord is the best-known raspberry liqueur but, again, there are other options worth exploring. Bols, di Amore, and Rouge are just a few good choices.
- When pouring the raspberry liqueur, using a spoon will disrupt the flow. It's a technique that's typically used for floating drink ingredients, but here the heavier liqueur should sink to the bottom and slowly rise as you drink. Don't stir the cocktail in the serving glass or you will lose the effect.
- Any sparkling wine will do just fine in the Waterloo sunset. Champagne is often used in recipes because it's the best-known, but you can save money and still have a fabulous drink by pouring something like Prosecco or a sparkling rosé.
- Though no garnish is suggested in the recipe, floating a few fresh raspberries on top of the drink is a lovely way to dress it up.
- If you like, switch to the "original" sunrise ingredient and pour grenadine instead of a liqueur. You can also use other red fruit liqueurs, such as strawberry or crème de cassis.
How Strong Is a Waterloo Sunset?
It may have a sweet, effervescent taste, but the Waterloo sunset is not a light drink. A good indication of its strength is the fact that it's made entirely of alcohol, so it weighs in around 24 percent ABV (48 proof). That's not terribly powerful—more like a cosmopolitan—yet it is one of stronger champagne cocktails.