|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 31g||11%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||0%|
|Total Sugars 26g|
|Vitamin C 12mg||58%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Give the popular cosmopolitan a fun summer twist with this easy watermelon cosmo recipe. It features a wonderful watermelon liqueur that captures the sweet taste of the fruit in a convenient bottle and makes mixing this vodka martini a breeze.
The Dutch company, Lucas Bols, makes some great flavored liqueurs that have the quality, flavor, and color that make mixing with the sweeter spirits so much fun. Bols Watermelon is a beautiful red liqueur with a true taste of watermelon—none of that artificial candied fruit taste.
The liqueur is the focus of this cocktail recipe, which pushes the vodka to the background. The watermelon's also a wonderful pairing for the cosmo's signature cranberry, and it all comes together to give you a delightful, low-proof drink for the hottest days of the year.
Gather the ingredients.
Serve and enjoy!
For the lime juice, cut a wedge from the fruit and simply squeeze it into the shaker. Wiping it around the rim of your glass adds a refreshing tartness that's really nice as well.
- The watermelon liqueur is a sweet one, so if you find that this recipe too sweet you can always cut back or eliminate the simple syrup.
- Another way to reduce the sweetness is to switch from red to white cranberry juice. The lighter juice (it's actually similar in color to apple juice) offers a more refreshing taste while maintaining the cranberry flavor.
- Try this cocktail with a flavored vodka. Any citrus or berry vodka would be a nice complement to the other fruits.
- You can also try cucumber vodka, as that flavor is an excellent match for watermelon. Effen, Prairie Organic, and Smirnoff are a few brands that offer nice cucumber vodkas.
- Building off that flavor duo, ramp up the taste of this cosmo in a similar manner to the watermelon cucumber recipe. To do this, muddle a fresh piece of watermelon and a couple of cucumber slices in the cocktail shaker before adding the ingredients. You'll want to fine strain the drink—pour through your regular cocktail strainer as well as a fine mesh strainer—to keep pieces of the fruits out of the glass.
How Strong Is a Watermelon Cosmo?
Almost half the strength of the original cosmo, using the 34 proof liqueur as the main ingredient definitely knocks down the alcohol content. This recipe mixes up to a mild 14 percent ABV (28 proof). That's similar to wine, only a lot fruitier.