There are some flavor pairings that are just natural and as lovely in their aroma as they are in taste. Watermelon and cucumber is one of those combinations and this cocktail displays that marriage perfectly.
Aviation, the gin used here, may be the only gin that could pull this cocktail off to such perfection. It is more of a floral and citrus gin, with juniper hanging out lightly in the background, and that is an ideal situation for the watermelon-cucumber combo.
Watermelon is also one of the easiest fruit to juice, so it will not take long to get what you need for the drink. The easiest way is to simply muddle a few chunks and strain for the juice.
This is a great use for that melon that always seems to be leftover after a picnic and the drink is easy enough that you could mix it up right there on the patio.
Also, don't pass by that pinch of salt, it is essential and without it this drink would be like a Bloody Mary without the black pepper: slightly bland, but tolerable.
- Press watermelon to make juice (squeeze the watermelon in a juicer or muddle in a mixing glass). Strain and reserve 1 ½ ounces of the juice.
- Place cucumber in mixing glass and muddle.
- Add the other ingredients except the soda.
- Shake vigorously for 30 seconds.
- Fine strain into a highball glass filled with ice.
- Top with soda water.
- Garnish with a cucumber slice on rim.
Recipe Courtesy: Aviation Gin
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||2 g|
|Saturated Fat||0 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||0 g|
|Dietary Fiber||8 g|