|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 12g||4%|
|Dietary Fiber 1g||2%|
|Total Sugars 9g|
|Vitamin C 5mg||27%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Watermelon is a refreshing fruit, and a smoothie is a refreshing drink—so why not combine the two? The quenching abilities of watermelon make it the perfect ingredient for a cooling beverage on a hot summer day. In addition, mixing watermelon, banana, and vanilla yogurt is a quick and easy way to get a nutritious and tasty beverage that will hit the spot after some outdoor exercise or a few hours relaxing in the warm sun.
The consistency of this smoothie is thinner than when using other fruits (because watermelon has a lot of water, hence the name), but it is still a cool way to consume a healthy dose of fruit and yogurt.
3 cups watermelon chunks, seeds removed
1 small banana, chopped
1 cup ice
1 1/2 cups 0-percent-fat Greek-style vanilla yogurt, such as Oikos or Trader Joe's
Steps to Make It
Place watermelon chunks, chopped banana, ice, and yogurt in a blender.
Blend until smooth. Pour into 4 large or 6 small glasses.
- Make sure to buy a seedless watermelon so you don't spend time picking out the seeds. White seeds, however, are fine to leave in.
- Precut watermelon also saves time. Throw it in the freezer, if you like a slushy drink.
- Strawberries and blueberries pair well with the other ingredients. And fresh mint adds a cool twist and aids in digestion.
- If you like your smoothie sweet, add honey or a sprinkle of cinnamon. Those who like it tart should swap lemon yogurt for the vanilla.
- Eliminate the yogurt entirely for a thirst-quenching summer refresher—one you can even turn into a frozen cocktail.
- Omit the bananas and yogurt and add 1 cup ripe strawberries and 1/2 cup of lemon juice for an invigorating frozen watermelon lemonade (no sugar needed).