The fruits should soak in brandy for at least 24 hours, so start this recipe in advance.
- 1 pound sugar
- 1 pound butter
- 1 pound all-purpose flour (plus flour for fruit)
- 10 large eggs
- 1 pound dates
- 1 pound raisins
- 1 pound halved candied cherries
- 1 pound chopped candied pineapple
- 1 pound candied fruit (mixed, soaked in brandy at least overnight before using brandy)
- 1/2 teaspoon ginger
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon allspice
Combine fruits in a large enameled kettle or large bowl; cover with brandy and stir to blend.
Cover and let soak at least overnight.
Preheat oven to 300°.
Cream butter and sugar.
Add eggs two at a time, beaten.
Add flour which has been sifted and to which has been added spices.
Drain fruit; toss with a little flour to lightly coat. Mix well. Prepare loaf pans by greasing then lining with buttered brown paper.
Fill 2/3 full with batter and bake for about 3 hours, covering loosely with aluminum foil after 30 minutes to prevent over-browning (do not let the foil touch the cake).
Test with cake tester or toothpick after about 2 hours.