Sitcoms joke about it, vegans rave about it, and, it's even made an appearance on the famous Jeopardy game show. But what, exactly is Tofurky? It's been around for an incredible twenty some years now, so if aren't already familiar, you should be! Read on!
Tofurky is the ingenious brand name of a mock-turkey (or turkey substitute) product that serves as a vegetarian and vegan alternative to turkey on Thanksgiving or other occasions.
Sold as just the roast (for about $9.99) or complete with vegetarian stuffing, gravy and even a "wishbone" as a "Tofurky feast" for about $16.99, the Tofurky feast is a complete vegetarian Thanksgiving meal in a box. Although Tofurky brand turkey substitute is probably the most well-known and the first product of it's kind (and probably the most loved as well), several other brands of mock-turkey are also available these days.
- Options: Sold as just the Tofurky loaf, or, you can buy the loaf with gravy included, or, you can also choose the "Tofurky feast", which is a complete vegetarian meal for six complete with gravy, stuffing, and, as of 2015, a vegan chocolate brownie for dessert and even a "wishbone"; You can also buy the vegan gravy separately. Mix and match!
- Readily recognizable as one of the more popular fake turkeys.
- Did I mention the wishbone? It's pretty awesome, and the only vegetarian turkey substitute which has one!
- Made from organic soy beans and certified Kosher
- Only available seasonally in some areas
- Buying the whole meal (Tofurky feast) takes all the fun out of cooking a Thanksgiving meal! But this is surely a "pro" for some people who don't like to or don't want to cook.
- Who wants to eat frozen chocolate brownie for Thanksgiving dessert? Not me!
Note: Because Tofurky is also a brand name, many types of Tofurky-brand vegetarian and vegan foods, such as deli slices, mock bratwurst and of course, "Tofurky Jurky" can be found at your regular grocery store or health food store and are certified Parve as well as vegan. I personally love the Tofurky brand deli slices - it's the only brand of vegetarian deli meat I ever buy.
Also Known As: tofu turkey
Common Misspellings: tofurkey