|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 to 2|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||1%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||1%|
|Total Carbohydrate 23g||8%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||1%|
|Total Sugars 19g|
|Vitamin C 19mg||96%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
A playful take on a favorite tequila cocktail, the whipped sunset serves it up martini style and features whipped cream vodka with pineapple juice. It's both a delicious and beautiful cocktail and very easy to mix up.
This recipe is a perfect venue for whipped vodka, which is designed to taste like whipped cream. Produced by several vodka brands, it's one of the sweetest vodkas available and mixes well with various fruits and sugary mixers.
What is most interesting about the whipped sunset is how the whipped cream and pineapple flavors complement each other. They're married with sour mix and grenadine, creating a very similar drink to the tequila sunrise. Like that cocktail, the grenadine creates a layered effect that is as stunning for the eyes as the drink is to the taste buds.
1 1/2 ounces whipped cream vodka
2 ounces pineapple juice
3 ounces sour mix
1/2 ounce grenadine
Whipped cream, for garnish
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice cubes, combine the vodka, pineapple juice, and sour mix.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Top with grenadine (it will sink).
Garnish with whipped cream. Serve and enjoy.
- This recipe mixes up to be about 7 1/2 ounces, which is double the average martini. If you don't have a glass that size, either divide the drink into two glasses and share or cut all of the ingredients in half to make one drink.
- A heaping garnish of whipped cream may be a little much for some. If you prefer, begin with a small dollop or forgo it altogether.
- A homemade sour mix will create a better-tasting drink, and it's easy to make. Essentially, you'll add equal parts lemon and lime juice (or either citrus) to simple syrup.
- Serve this cocktail over ice in a collins or highball glass, just like the tequila sunrise. The recipe's volume is perfect for a single tall glass.
- Skip the sweet vodka and pour tequila instead. You can keep the whipped cream garnish and still get a sweeter martini-style drink.
- For a similar drink that reverts to the sunrise's original orange juice, try whipped cream vodka in the sour sunrise recipe, using it as a substitute for the bourbon.
How Strong Is a Whipped Sunrise?
Whipped vodkas are low-proof and often bottled at 60 proof. Since a single shot of that is the only liquor in the drink, it's extremely light and will shake up to just 6 percent ABV (12 proof). It's like drinking a strong beer, only far more delicious.
Does Whipped Vodka Include Sugar?
While some flavored vodkas do not include sugar, whipped vodka (or whipped cream vodka) will almost always contain sugar. The sweetener is how vodka makers replicate the sweet taste of whipped cream. The amount of sugar varies by brand, and you should expect that any dessert-flavored vodka includes more sugar than all other flavored vodkas. If you're trying to control your sugar intake, switch to an unflavored 80-proof vodka, as these should be sugar-free.