Wild Turkey produces some bold bourbons that will not get lost in cocktails. That's why it's a fantastic choice for recipes like the Manhattan 101, an interesting rendition on a cocktail that has long been a favorite.
This recipe was developed by Wild Turkey as part of a trio of drinks that redefined classic whiskey cocktails. Along with this variation on the Manhattan, the grouping includes the old-fashioned 101 and the whiskey sour 101. Each is a fascinating interpretation of the original cocktails that promise to tantalize your taste buds.
The Manhattan 101 begins as a "perfect" Manhattan, pairing Wild Turkey with both dry and sweet vermouth. It takes an intriguing turn from there, adding fresh ginger and mint to the mix. This combination creates a lively drink and demonstrates how adding a hint of spice and herb can rejuvenate a familiar cocktail base.
How Strong Is a Manhattan 101?
Manhattans of any variety are not light drinks and this recipe falls in line. If you choose Wild Turkey's 81-proof whiskey, the alcohol content of the finished drink is around 27 percent ABV (54 proof). When mixed with Wild Turkey 101, it becomes a potent 33 percent ABV (66 proof). Since it is nearly the strength of a shot of whiskey, you might want to savor the flavor experience of a single drink rather than mix up multiple rounds in a night.
- 1 thin slice fresh ginger
- 3 mint leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered sugar
- 1 dash bitters
- 1 3/4 ounces bourbon
- 1/3 ounce dry vermouth
- 1/3 ounce sweet vermouth
Gather the ingredients.
In a cocktail shaker, muddle the ginger, mint, powdered sugar, and bitters.
Add the bourbon, vermouth, and fill the shaker with ice. Shake well.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass.
Serve and enjoy!
More Tips for Making a Great Manhattan 101 Cocktail
- Fresh ginger and mint are a requirement for this recipe. It is both an opportunity to practice your skills with a muddler and a fantastic way to experience the difference fresh ingredients can make. Though not essential, some bartenders like to slap mint leaves before mixing to help release more of the herb's essential oils.
- Powdered sugar is not one of the most common ingredients in a bar. If you don't have it, don't worry. It's easy to make yourself from granulated sugar and can be made in as small of a quantity as you need. The only tool required is a blender or coffee grinder.
- You can also substitute the powdered sugar. Granulated sugar is a good option and no adjustments are needed to the quantity. Simple syrup is the other option. If you use it, you may find that slightly less than 1 teaspoon is required to create a balanced cocktail.
- This cocktail was created by Wild Turkey, so it is only natural that it is the recommended whiskey of choice. Of course, you can use any bourbon you like, however, Wild Turkey has a number of great options to choose from.
- Wild Turkey 81 is one of the flagship expressions from the legendary bourbon brand and it would be a top choice for this cocktail. Wild Turkey 101 and Rare Breed are excellent options as well. As you might suspect, the recipe got it's "101" moniker from Wild Turkey 101, so it's recommended that you start with that flavorful bourbon. It has wonderful spice tones that play perfectly against the ginger and mint.
- If you want to step the drink up yet another notch, try one of the brand's limited edition reserve bourbons. Don't worry, mixed drinks of this caliber will not be a waste of great whiskey.