|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 0g||0%|
|Saturated Fat 0g||0%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 0g||2%|
|Total Sugars 14g|
|Vitamin C 12mg||59%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Inspired by a classic cocktail, the whiskey sour 101 is a modern recipe that puts a fun twist on the original. It's a lively drink featuring a fantastic bourbon and it may just become a new favorite.
Everything that's great about the whiskey sour is in this recipe, but each ingredient gets a new spin. Wild Turkey created this cocktail recipe, so the brand's 101-proof bourbon is recommended. The typical lemon juice becomes a combination of grapefruit and lime, and honey is used instead of simple syrup. You also have the option of adding the traditional egg white and can finish it off with a cherry soaked in honey whiskey (Wild Turkey American Honey is recommended). The resulting cocktail is both familiar and unique, so it's a lot of fun to drink.
Gather the ingredients.
Slice the cherry from top to bottom five times around the pit. Soak in a few ounces of honey liqueur for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, combine the bourbon, grapefruit juice, lime juice, and honey.
In a small bowl, froth an egg white and add a dollop—the size of a bar spoon or teaspoon—to the mixture.
Strain over fresh ice in an old-fashioned glass. Garnish with the honey liqueur-soaked cherry. Serve and enjoy.
Raw Egg Warning
Consuming raw and lightly-cooked eggs poses a risk for food-borne illness.
- The egg white will give the drink a soft foam, which is nice against the sweet and sour flavor. It's optional, so feel free to skip it. If you do use it, ensure that your egg is good before adding it to the shaker.
- If you do add the egg, this cocktail needs to be shaken longer than normal. Thirty seconds should be your goal. When the shaker gets a really good frost on the outside, it should be properly mixed.
- Fresh citrus juice will produce the best tasting cocktail. You can expect to get one or two drinks out of a single lime and enough juice for about 10 drinks from one grapefruit. Have a bottle with a tight seal to store any excess.
- Pour your favorite whiskey if you prefer. The higher the alcohol content, the more flavorful your drink will be, which is ideal for this recipe. Anything that's around 100 proof will stand out nicely against the drink's complex flavors.
- Though the recipe recommends serving the whiskey sour 101 on the rocks, it's great without ice as well. If you choose to use ice, try a larger chunk such as an ice ball to slow down the dilution.
How Strong Is the Whisky Sour 101?
Even with the stronger whiskey, the Whiskey Sour 101 is not the most potent drink you can shake up. It is stronger than the average whiskey sour, though, and has an alcohol content around 22 percent ABV (44 proof).