|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 1 casserole (6 servings)|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 36g||46%|
|Saturated Fat 18g||88%|
|Total Carbohydrate 25g||9%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
Layers of white sauce, lasagna noodles, chicken, asparagus, roasted red peppers, and mozzarella cheese make an unusual and flavor-rich lasagna. This layered casserole dish may be made ahead and refrigerated until time to bake.
- For the Sauce:
- 1/4 cup/1/2 stick butter
- 1/2 cup sweet onion (minced)
- 8 ounces mushrooms (chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large garlic cloves (minced)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 can (14 ounces) chicken broth (or 1-3/4 cups homemade)
- 1 1-/2 cups half-and-half (or whole milk)
- Black pepper (freshly ground) to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg (ground)
- 5 fresh sage leaves (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves (fresh, removed from stem)
- For the Lasagna:
- 8 ounces lasagna noodles (oven-ready or equivalent standard lasagna noodles, pre-cooked to firm al dente stage)
- 2 cups chicken (cooked and diced)
- 2 cups fresh asparagus (cut into 2-inch lengths)
- 1/4 cup roasted red pepper (chopped; canned or jarred is fine, but not the pickled variety)
- 2 cups mozzarella (finely-shredded) or Italian blend cheese (divided use)
- 1/8 cup Parmesan cheese (grated)
Preheat oven to 375 F. Spray a 5-quart glass baking dish or two loaf pans with vegetable spray.
For the White Mushroom Sauce
In a large heavy pot, sprinkle onions and with salt and sauté in butter over medium heat until lightly browned.
Add chopped garlic and sauté 1 additional minute. Sprinkle with flour and continue cooking another 2 minutes.
While stirring, carefully add the white wine and cook until flour is incorporated about 1 minute. Continuing to stir, add chicken broth.
Simmer until begins to thicken, then add half-and-half, pepper, and nutmeg. Simmer another 5 minutes, then stir in sage and thyme. Taste for salt and add more if needed. (Remember that the pasta will absorb the salt, so be generous.) Let sauce cool slightly before assembling the lasagna.
For the Lasagna
Remove 1/2 cup of the mozzarella cheese and set aside for the topping.
Spread a thin layer of sauce on the bottom of the baking dish, then begin layering the lasagna in the following order: lasagna noodles, chicken, asparagus, roasted red peppers, sauce, and mozzarella cheese. You should have at least 4 layers, ending with the reserved 1/2 cup of mozzarella cheese on top.
Finish by sprinkling the Parmesan on top of the mozzarella. (May be made in advance to this point, covered, and refrigerated up to 1 day. Add 15 minutes of covered baking time if going from refrigerator to oven.)
Cover and bake 30 minutes. Remove the lid or covering and bake an additional 15 minutes. Let rest at least 15 minutes before cutting to serve.