Are you a fan of the sweet, creamy taste of white chocolate? Does the thought of a white chocolate latte or white chocolate hot cocoa make you weak in the knees? Do you find yourself gravitating to that giant well-known coffee chain and giving in to one of their holiday drinks way too often? We understand and you're not alone.
White chocolate is actually derived from chocolate and contains cocoa butter, sugar, and milk, but not the cocoa solids. It's those solids that give milk or dark chocolate their color and deeper, more bitter flavor. The cocoa solids are also the source of caffeine so, without them, white chocolate doesn't contain the same jolt. The result is a smooth, sweet, craveable confection.
There's good news for the white chocolate latte lovers, though. No, we can't make the cravings stop—you're stuck with those. But what we can do is help you to satisfy those cravings without having to get dressed and walk or drive to the giant coffee palace. This at-home version tastes just as creamy and delicious and is probably less expensive as well.
While the white chocolate mocha at that big famous coffee chain may sound fancy and complicated, it's actually a very simple beverage. You can buy white chocolate sauce as well as white chocolate mocha mixes from other companies, but this from-scratch version will make you think twice. Use your favorite prepared coffee (or espresso, if you like it strong), combine it with a white chocolate and milk sauce and top with sweet whipped cream—that's all there is to this cup of deliciousness. You can add a teaspoon or so of sugar if you like it extra sweet, but the white chocolate sauce is usually decadent enough.
That's it. No special mixtures or secret sauces required and no need to purchase anything other than a bag of white chocolate chips, assuming there isn't already one available for snacking in your kitchen. Again, we understand. You're not alone.
- 3/4 cup milk (whole or low-fat)
- 3 tablespoons white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup prepared coffee
- Optional: 1 teaspoon sugar
- Garnish: Fresh whipped cream
- Garnish: dusting of ground nutmeg
- Gather the ingredients.
- Add the milk and the white chocolate chips to a heavy bottom pot. Whisk together, on medium low heat, until the white chocolate has been incorporated and the sauce is smooth.
- Brew a half cup of your favorite coffee or espresso and pour into a cup or mug. Pour the white chocolate milk sauce over the coffee and stir in any additional sugar, if desired.
- Top with either homemade or store-bought whipped cream and sprinkle on a light dusting of ground nutmeg.
- Serve and enjoy!