Visually stunning with a delicately sweet fruit taste, the white cosmo is a beautiful cocktail. It replicates the flavor of the famous cosmopolitan, but opts for white cranberry juice rather than the standard red. The switch removes the pink color and lightens up the fruity sweetness.
The white cosmo is an excellent vodka martini for any occasion, including spring and summer affairs and romantic dinners. An elderflower liqueur, such as St. Germain, gives it a sweet and floral touch and replaces the cosmo's customary Cointreau. It's a perfect complement to the lighter cranberry, as well as the lemon juice.
For a pop of color, a few sugar-dusted cranberries serve as the garnish. They make a fantastic sweet-tart nibble to enjoy when the drink's gone.
Gather the ingredients.
Skewer three cranberries and dust them with sugar. Gently tap off any excess sugar and set aside.
In a cocktail shaker filled with ice, pour the citrus vodka, white cranberry juice, elderflower liqueur, and lemon juice. Shake well.
Strain into a chilled cocktail glass and garnish with the cranberry skewer.
Serve and enjoy!
- Take advantage of cranberry season (autumn into early winter) and stock up on the fresh fruits for garnishing. Flash freeze them in a single layer, then transfer to a freezer bag. They'll keep until the next cranberry season and you can pull a few out for a garnish at any time.
- Frozen cranberries are less prone to breaking open when skewered. They also thaw within 10 minutes.
- Fresh-squeezed lemon juice is highly recommended. A single lemon wedge should produce the 1/4 ounce needed for the recipe.
- As with the pink cosmopolitan, adjust any of the ingredients to your taste. A touch more liqueur or cranberry makes it sweeter, while an extra squeeze of lemon gives it a tart kick.
- Skip the elderflower and switch back to an orange liqueur like Cointreau, another triple sec, or premium orange curaçao. Avoid brandy-based and colored orange liqueurs or you'll take the "white" out of the cosmo (although it will taste the same and will do in a pinch).
- Use an unflavored vodka or another flavor if you like. Berry vodkas are a perfect match for this drink.
How Strong Is a White Cosmo?
The white cosmo is just a little more gentle than the original recipe. When made with a 70-proof vodka and St. Germain, it shakes up to about 17 percent ABV (34 proof). That's still stronger than a glass of wine, so don't let the beauty of this drink lure you into enjoying one too many.