This popular Chinese dish is quite easy to make. To add a bit of color, try garnishing the cut chicken with Green Onion Brushes before serving.
- 2.5 pounds chicken
- 3 Spring onions (green onions, scallions)
- 1 Large ginger, sliced
- 3 Garlic cloves
- 1 cup Shaoshing wine*
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Rinse the chicken under cold running water and pat dry. Trim any extra fat.
- In a large saucepan, add enough water to cover the chicken. Add the spring onions, ginger, garlic, Shaoshing wine, and sea salt. Bring to a boil.
- Simmer for 20 minutes, then place the chicken in the stock. Bring back to a boil and simmer for another 15 minutes.
- Turn the heat off, cover, and let the chicken sit in the stock for 4 - 5 hours. Serves 4.
- Cut up the chicken. Serve with red vinegar, such as Pun Chun.
- *Shaoshing wine is Chinese rice wine. If not available, pale dry sherry (not cooking sherry) can be substituted.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|