|Nutrition Facts (per serving)|
|Servings: 12 to 15|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 4g||5%|
|Saturated Fat 2g||9%|
|Total Carbohydrate 17g||6%|
|Dietary Fiber 2g||6%|
|Total Sugars 1g|
|Vitamin C 0mg||1%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
These cornbread muffins get their great texture from the whole wheat flour and stone-ground cornmeal. The cornbread can also be baked in a skillet. If you have some bacon drippings, add them.
These savory cornbread muffins are an excellent bread to serve with baked beans, chili, Southern greens, or stew.
Southerners generally like their cornbread and cornbread muffins unsweetened. If you like your cornbread sweet, add 2 to 4 tablespoons of granulated sugar to the batter or add a few tablespoons of honey.
Grease and flour 12 to 15 muffin cups. Heat oven to 425 F.
In a large mixing bowl, combine the cornmeal, whole-wheat flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Stir with a spoon or whisk to blend thoroughly.
In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and the cooled melted butter.
Pour the buttermilk mixture into the dry mixture and stir until all ingredients are moistened.
Fill the prepared muffin cups about 3/4 full.
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the muffins are browned and firm to a light touch.
Tips and Variations
- To bake in a skillet: Add 1 tablespoon of shortening, oil, or bacon drippings to a cast iron skillet. Place it in the oven to heat while you make the batter (this will help give the cornbread a crunchy crust). Pour the batter into the hot skillet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Bake in a greased 9-inch-square pan for 20 to 25 minutes.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of corn kernels to the batter.
- Add 1 to 1 1/2 cups of shredded cheese to the batter along with 1 cup of whole kernel corn and some chopped jalapeño peppers, if desired.
- Add 1/4 cup of crumbled cooked bacon to the batter.
- For additional texture, add 1/2 cup of coarsely chopped walnuts or pecans to the batter.
- Add 1 cup of pepper jack cheese to the batter.