These whole wheat banana muffins are made with oatmeal, brown sugar and whole wheat flour. A bit of honey and orange juice makes them extra moist and gives them a flavor that is a bit different from other banana muffin recipes.
Recipe courtesy the Wheat Foods Council.
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 cups quick cooking oats
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Optional: 1/2 cup chopped walnut(optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Combine orange juice, zest, vegetable oil, eggs, bananas, and honey in a large mixing bowl. Stir well. In a separate bowl, combine brown sugar, oats, flour, baking powder, salt, and nuts. Combine with liquid ingredients and mix slightly until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Spray muffin cups with non-stick spray and fill 3/4 full. Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Nutrition: (includes walnuts) One serving provides approximately: 210 calories, 6 g protein, 33 g carbohydrates, 3 g fiber, 7 g fat (2 g saturated), 37 mg cholesterol, 22 mcg folate, 1 mg iron, 193 mg sodium.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||8 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||3 g|
|Dietary Fiber||2 g|