Vegetables give this easy wild rice dish flavor and slivered toasted almonds give it extra crunch. Southern cooking is known for being fried in butter and lard but this is a delicious, light, and very healthy recipe that'll fill you right up.
- Melt butter in a large heavy skillet.
- Sauté wild rice, onion, celery, carrots, and mushrooms until vegetables are golden brown.
- Add chicken broth and poultry seasoning.
- Cover and simmer for 30 to 40 minutes, until the rice is tender.
- Taste and add salt and pepper.
- Top with toasted slivered almonds just before serving.
To toast nuts
- Spread out in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Toast in a 350 F oven, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes. Or, toast in an ungreased skillet over medium heat, stirring, until golden brown and aromatic.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||17 g|
|Saturated Fat||8 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||6 g|
|Dietary Fiber||3 g|