Chicken pot pie is a classic American comfort food, and this version comes courtesy of celebrity guest author, Chef Wolfgang Puck. Wolfgang's chicken pot pie recipe features a crust made even more savory with cheddar cheese.
- For the Pastry:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons snipped chives
- 3/4 cup salted butter (chilled, cut into small pieces)
- 1 cup sharp cheddar cheese (shredded)
- 2 egg yolks
- 6 tablespoon heavy cream
- For the Chicken and Vegetables:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts (cut into 1-inch pieces)
- 2 medium carrots (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 1 stalk celery (cut into 1/2-inch slices)
- 1/2 pound crimini (or shiitake mushrooms, sliced)
- 1 10-ounce package pearl onions (frozen package, thawed)
- 3/4 cup peas (frozen package, thawed)
- For the Sauce:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup chicken stock
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon thyme (fresh, minced)
- salt to taste
- black pepper taste
- 1 egg (with 1 tablespoon water, beaten)
Prepare the pastry: Place the flour and chives in a bowl. Using a pastry blender or your fingertips, work in the butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Add the cheese and work in until just blend. In a small bowl, whisk together the yolks and 5 tablespoons of the cream. Sprinkle the yolk mixture over the pastry dough, a little at a time, stirring with a fork until pastry comes together. Add remaining cream if necessary. Knead lightly until just combined. Press pastry into a circle. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate until needed.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add the butter and vegetable oil. Sauté the chicken for 2-3 minutes, until lightly browned but not cooked through. With a slotted spoon, remove chicken to bowl.
In the same pan over medium-high heat sauté the carrots, celery, and mushrooms 5 minutes. With a slotted spoon, remove vegetables to another bowl. Stir thawed pearl onions and peas into vegetables.
Prepare the sauce: In the same pan, melt the butter over medium heat. Add the flour and whisk until the mixture is bubbling and smooth, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat and gradually whisk in stock, cream, and thyme. Return skillet to heat, bring to a simmer, stirring constantly. Cook for 2 minutes until sauce has thickened and is smooth. Season with salt and pepper. Stir in reserved chicken and vegetables. Set aside to cool for about 20 minutes.
Preheat the oven to 400 F. Spoon cooled chicken and vegetable mixture into a 10-inch deep-dish pie plate. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pastry into a circle 11-inches in diameter. Place pastry on top of chicken mixture. Trim pastry edge, fold overhang under and press gently all around baking dish to make a decorative edge. Reroll any trimmings and cut out to make a decorative design for the top of pie. Brush pastry with beaten egg wash. Using a knife, cut 3 slits in the center of pie.
Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until pastry is golden brown, chicken and vegetables are tender and filling is heated through.