The name wonton means swallowing a cloud, and the wonton floating in this popular soup is thought to resemble clouds. This recipe for Wonton Soup serves 4.
- 18 to 24 wonton wrappers
- 1/2 pound boneless lean pork (chopped finely)
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon oyster sauce
- 3 to 5 drops sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 green onion (finely minced)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 2 dashes of white pepper
- 5 cups of water
- 4 1/2-5 cups chicken stock
- Combine all the filling ingredients in a bowl, mixing well.
- Lay one wonton skin in front of you. Cover the remaining wonton skins with a damp towel to keep them from drying out.
- Filling the wontons: Moisten all the edges of the wonton wrapper with water. Place a heaping teaspoon of wonton filling in the center.
- Fold the wonton wrapper in half lengthwise, making sure the ends meet. Press down firmly on the ends to seal. Use thumbs to push down on the edges of the filling to center it. Keeping thumbs in place, fold over the wonton wrapper one more time. Push the corners up and hold in place between your thumb and index finger. Wet the corners with your fingers. Bring the two ends together so that they overlap. Press to seal. The finished product should resemble a nurse's cap. Repeat with remaining wontons. (Alternate method: Place the teaspoon of filling in the middle of the wrapper and twist to seal. The final result should resemble a money bag or drawstring purse.)
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the wontons, making sure there is enough room for them to move about freely. Let the wontons boil for 5 - 8 minutes until they rise to the top and the filling is cooked through. Remove from the pot with a slotted spoon.
- To make the soup: bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the wontons and bring the soup back to a boil. Add the green onion, remove the pot from the heat and add the sesame oil, stirring. Ladle into soup bowls, allowing 6 wontons per person.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||106 g|
|Saturated Fat||28 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||33 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|