Walk into any deli store and you’ll find hard rolls ready-made and ready to eat. Hard rolls are chewy rolls that taste great with any dinner and are perfect for making sandwiches. This recipe is for a large batch of hard rolls and makes 18 rolls that you can bake, cool, and freeze for later dinners or use for packing lunches throughout the week.
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon
- active dry yeast
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/2 cup warm water
- 3 tablespoons butter (soft)
- 1 egg white
- 4 1/2 to 5 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1/4 teaspoon of cornmeal
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- In a large bowl, mix sugar, yeast, salt, and water until yeast is dissolved.
- Add butter, egg white, and 3 cups of flour. Mix until well blended.
- Slowly add flour, about a 1/4 cup at a time, until dough is formed.
- Turn dough out onto floured board and knead for 8 minutes, adding small amounts of flour to the dough as necessary.
- Place dough in greased bowl. Turn dough over in a bowl to grease dough top. Cover and let rise for 45 minutes or until double in size.
- Punch down dough. Turn out onto lightly floured board, cover dough and let sit for another 10 minutes.
- Prepare two large baking sheets by greasing the sheets and sprinkling cornmeal on them.
- Divide dough into two equal parts. Divide each half into 9 equal pieces for a total of 18 rolls.
- Form each dough piece into round ball and place on baking sheet, leaving about 3 inches space between rolls.
- Cover rolls and let rise for about 30 minutes or until double in size.
- Mix water and cornstarch in small saucepan. Bring to boil and then set aside to cool to warm until rolls are finished rising.
- Brush rolls with cornstarch mix and cut an X on roll tops.
- If desired, sprinkle rolls with sesame or poppy seeds.
- Bake rolls at 450 F for about 15 minutes or until done.
- Remove from baking sheets and let cool on wire racks.
- Let rolls cool completely before bagging and freezing for later.
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||3 g|
|Saturated Fat||1 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||1 g|
|Dietary Fiber||0 g|