It's a kind of nabe (hot pot) dishes. It literally means putting everything together in a pot. You can put various ingredients, such as seafood and vegetables. It's usually cooked at the dining table as people eat.
3 1/2 cup dashi soup
- 4 tablespoons sake
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 or 8 hard shell clams, cleaned and sand expelled
- 2 salmon steaks, or salmon fillets, cut into 2 inch lengths and bones removed
- 1/4 head hakusai (Chinese cabbage), washed and cut into 2-3 inch lengths
- 1 negi, leek, rinsed and cut diagonally
- 1 carrot, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch thick rounds
- 8 shiitake mushrooms, stem removed
- 1 enoki mushrooms, trimmed
- 1 shungiku (chrysanthemum greens), washed and cut into 2-3 inch lengths *optional
Put dashi soup stock in a donabe pot or an electric skillet.
Heat the soup and bring to a boil.
Season with sake, soy sauce, mirin, and salt.
Turn down the heat to low. Add salmon and clams in the pot at first.
Put other ingredients and simmer until softened and cooked through.
Prepare individual serving bowls for diners and have them take some simmered ingredients in the bowl as they eat.
*makes 4 servings
Also try Creamy Hakusai Soup.