Short ribs are baked with potatoes, carrots, small white onions, and zesty beef broth mixture.
- 3 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 pound carrots, about 6 medium, trimmed, peeled, and halved
- 1 pound red potatoes, about 5 to 6 medium, peeled and halved
- 4 to 6 small white onions, peeled
- 1 3/4 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons horseradish
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Preheat oven to 350° Trim excess fat from beef short ribs. Place ribs in a 13x9-inch baking dish or roasting pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Bake the ribs uncovered for 2 hours; drain off excess fat. Add the prepared carrots, potatoes, and onions.
- In a bowl, combine the broth with horseradish and mustard; pour over the meat and vegetables. Cover with foil and bake for 1 to 1 1/2 hours longer, or until tender.
- Arrange the short ribs and vegetables on a serving platter and keep warm. Measure pan drippings and add a little water or broth, if necessary, to make 2 cups. Pour into a saucepan (or use the same baking pan) and place over medium heat.
- In a cup or small bowl, mix cornstarch with cold water. Stir into the pan drippings and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Boil for 1 minute.
- Serve the gravy with the short ribs and vegetables.
"I quickly reviewed some recipes as I picked up a package of short ribs and didn't know what to do with them. I made this on a Sunday - cold outside and the wonderful smell got everyone hungry. This couldn't have been easier and the flavor was outstanding. This will be made again." Fiona
"My husband and I tried this recipe but instead of the oven we used our crock pot. It was EXCELLENT...In fact, we are spending the holidays with his family and will do this one night for dinner. Great recipe!!" Marcia
You Might Also Like
|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Total Fat||90 g|
|Saturated Fat||39 g|
|Unsaturated Fat||42 g|
|Dietary Fiber||7 g|