|Nutritional Guidelines (per serving)|
|Servings: 4 to 6 Servings|
|Amount per serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 9g||11%|
|Saturated Fat 3g||14%|
|Total Carbohydrate 19g||7%|
|Dietary Fiber 4g||14%|
|*The % Daily Value (DV) tells you how much a nutrient in a food serving contributes to a daily diet. 2,000 calories a day is used for general nutrition advice.|
This fried eggplant is made with a basic fritter batter seasoned with Italian-style seasonings. Garlic powder, an Italian herb blend, and a dash of cayenne are among the ingredients. The eggplant strips are soaked in salted water for about 30 minutes to an hour before they are fried.
Marinara, pizza sauce, or a basic spaghetti sauce are excellent sauces for dipping or use a tomato salsa or ranch dressing. You could change the seasonings to a Southwest or Tex-Mex blend as well.
See the tips and variations for a quick seasoning mixture.
- 1 medium eggplant
- 2 teaspoons salt (divided)
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning*
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 dash cayenne pepper (ground)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 eggs (beaten)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Gather the ingredients.
- Peel the eggplant; cut in strips about 1/2-inch wide and 3 inches in length. Place the eggplant strips in a large bowl, cover with water and sprinkle with 1 teaspoon salt. Place a small plate or saucer over the eggplant to hold it under the water. Let stand for 30 minutes to 1 hour; drain and pat dry with paper towels.
- Combine flour, salt, baking powder, Italian seasoning, onion powder, cayenne, and garlic powder in a mixing bowl. Add beaten eggs, milk, and 1 tablespoon vegetable oil. Beat with a whisk until smooth.
- Heat oil over medium heat until hot. If deep-frying, heat to about 365 F.
- Line a large bowl with paper towels.
- Dip the dry eggplant strips in the batter. Let excess batter drip off; fry the eggplant strips in batches in hot oil until fried eggplant is golden brown.
- With a slotted metal spoon, transfer the fried eggplant to the paper towel-lined bowl and shake gently so the paper towels can absorb excess oil from all sides. Sprinkle the hot eggplant strips with grated Parmesan cheese.
- Repeat with the remaining eggplant strips and batter.
- Serve eggplant strips with marinara sauce, spaghetti sauce, or pizza sauce.
- *You may substitute equal parts dried crumbled oregano, basil, marjoram, and rosemary for the Italian seasoning in the fried eggplant batter.
Tips and Variations
Southwest/Tex-Mex: Replace the Italian seasoning blend with 1 teaspoon of chili powder, 1/2 teaspoon of ground cumin, 1/4 teaspoon of paprika, and 1/4 teaspoon of freshly ground black pepper. Serve with tomato or tomatillo salsa.